Abel, Carl Casimir (19th Century) Nuremberg
Salesman, then as of 1851 co-owner of Klinger’s shop in Nuremberg, which then was re-named “C. Abel-Klinger, Kunsthandlung.” Also see: Klinger, Georg Johann.
Abel-Klinger C. Nuremberg
See KLINGER,Georg Johann
Adami, Carl (1802-1874) Berlin
Garrison teacher in Potsdam; founded the company Adami & Co. together with a military friend and started selling globes in 1838. Famous for his 34cm terrestrial globes from 1838: one edition was copperplate-engraved, the other one lithographed. In 1852, Dietrich Reimer took over the company, but Adami remained employed as a cartographer.
Addison, John (worked 1800-1830) / John Addison & Co. London
Copperplate engraver and globe maker of “His majesty George IV” (1820-1830). Produced globes of various sizes, among others a 36 inch globe “drawn by J. Addison. Manufactured & Sold by J. Addison & Co.” Later on, Addison reportedly collaborated with Thomas Malby, who took charge of the production and distribution of Addison globes in the mid-1800s. One of Addison’s celestial globes was published by Malby & Co. in 1860.
A.H. Andrews & Co 1865-c 1900 / c1900 – 1907 C.F. Weber & Co / 1907-c1960 Weber Costello Co Chicago
A.H. Andrews, former employee of the Holbrook globe makers (East Coast), opened his own globe business in the early 1860s in Chicago, though marketed many of his first globes as Holbrook models. Andrews expanded into many other school-related products such as furniture and gained tremendous success as a businessman. He sold the globe manufacturing branch to C.F. Weber & Co. at the turn of the century, who marketed the globes as “C.F. Weber & Co, successor to A.H. Andrews and Co, Chicago.” Around 1907, the name changed to “Weber Costello Company.” Weber Costello continued the production of globes until the early 1960s.
Akerland, Erik (1754-after 1832) Stockholm
Became an apprentice to Fredrik Akrel in 1781 to learn the manufacturing of globes and copperplate-engraving. Akrel received 50 “Reichsthaler” for the apprenticeship from the royal government. Akerman’s globes were improved by Akerland in 1804. See Akerman and Akrel.
Akerman, Anders (1723-1778) Uppsala
Studied mathematics at Uppsala University, learned copperplate-engraving and, with the support of the “Kosmografiska Sallskapet” in Uppsala (whose member he was), began building up his own globe workshop in 1758 and selling terrestrial and celestial globes. In 1759, 1 foot (Swedish; 1 ft = 0.2969 m) globes were published, in 1766, the manufacture published 2 foot globes, as well as a pair of 11cm globes and a double globe (terrestrial globe inside of celestial globe) in 1762. Akerman’s successor was his colleague Fredrik Akrel.
Akrel, Carl Fredrik (1779-1868) Stockholm
Followed in his father Fredrik’s footsteps manufacturing globes. Published a 26 cm pair of globes together with Johan Hofgren; editions from 1817 and 1824 are known.
Akrel, Fredrik (1748-1804) Stockholm
A copperplate-engraver with Anders Akerman, Akrel was entrusted with the management of the globe manufacture in 1779 and re-published Akerman’s globes that same and the following year because they were already outdated due to Cook’s travels. Akerman’s manufacture was closed in 1842.
American Globe & School Supply Co. Seneca Falls, NY
Published globes c1890.
American School Apparatus Co. New York
Published globes from 1865 to 1875.
Annin, William B. (died 1839) Boston
In 1826, he received the first American patent for globes. Worked as a copperplate-engraver for Josiah Loring and Gilman Josling in the 1830s. See Annin & Smith.
Annin & Smith 1820-1831 Boston
William B. Annin and George G. Smith of Boston, engravers trading as Annin & Smith about 1820. Bought out in1831 by Pendleton’s Lithography, a publisher of maps and globes.
Archimedes of Syracuse (287-212 B.C.)
Mathematician and mechanic; invented the manufacture of artificial celestial globes. Constructed several celestial globes and a planetarium. Linked to Gemino’s 70 B.C. The “Sphaera Archimedes,” a revolving celestial globe containing the 5 planets known to mankind at the time, was powered by water and served as a model for Gottorfer’s big globe at the Lomonosov museum in St. Petersburg.
Bacon, G. W. & Co., Ltd. London
Globe maker and publisher. Bacon’s globes were also published by C. S. Hammond & Co., New York (containing Hammond’s imprint). 20cm and 45 cm globes are known.
Barbot, R. Paris
Geographer; created terrestrial globes for publishing companies Ikelmer and Lebegue & Cie.
Bardin, W. & T.M. 1780/90-1832 London
William Bardin (d. 1798), began globe production c 1780. In 1790, Thomas Marriott Bardin joined ranks with his father, the firm thereafter traded as W. & T.M. In 1798, the company published their New British Globes, sold through W. & S. Jones. Following T.M. Bardin’s death in 1819, his daughter, Elizabeth Marriott Bardin, continued the family’s globe production with her husband Samuel Sabine until 1832.
Barlow, Thomas Harris (1789-1865) Lexington, KY
Manufacture of planetariums.
Bauer, Johann (1752-1839), Carl (1780-1857) & Peter (1783-1847) Nuremberg
Johann Bernard Bauer and his sons Carl and Peter produced scientific instruments and globes in Nuremberg. They manufactured a vast variety of globes. Carl Bauer created several variations of a miniature globe in a box with inserted folding engravings of the peoples of the world as a set (The Earth and its Inhabitants) in English and German. These sets came in a little box and are either unsigned or bear the initials C.B. on the globe or box.
Behaim, Martin (1459-1507) Nuremberg
Following a request from Nuremberg’s parliament, in 1492 Martin Behaim commissioned the creation of the oldest preserved terrestrial globe (51 cm) to this day, not yet containing America. Ruprecht Kollberger manufactured the globe and Georg Glockendon, colored it. Today the globe is kept at the Germanic Museum in Nuremberg. Several copies exist (since 1847), as well as a minimized version (36 cm) published by the Flemmings-Verlag in Hamburg and on display at the Austrian National Library in Vienna.
Bertaux, Emile (worked c1880-1900) Paris
Published globes by various manufacture such as Dien, Dubail, or Eichen’s globes for planetariums, as well as the lunar and Mars globes created from Camille Flammarion’s discoveries.
Betts, John (died c1863) London
Published maps, atlases and folding globes; worked in London, 7 Compton Street Brunswick Sq. from 1839-1846, and at 115 Strand after 1846. His folding globes continued to be published until the 1920s by George Philip & Son, Ltd. (still active today). Betts was most famous for his patented folding globes that can be opened like an umbrella and feature a 39 cm diameter. Sold in the U.S. with the remark: “Sold by Boston School Supply Co., 15 Broomfield St., Boston.”
Cary , J &W (c 1791-1821), G&J (1821-1850), London
Founded by John Cary and his brother William. Highly recognized for their excellence in quality. The business was very prosperous, both as instrument makers and map publishers. Continued by sons George and John Cary. Sold to G.F. Cruchley in 1850, who continued to produce globes under the Cary name.
One of the most important globe making firms of the early 19th century was founded by John Cary (1755-1835), an engraver and map seller. In 1770, he was apprenticed to William Palmer and made a freeman in 1778. He started his globe making business in 1791, when he advertised 3.5, 9, 12, and 21 in. terrestrial and celestial globes from entirely new plates. In 1812, he added a celestial model and, in 1816, a pair of 18 in. globes. In making globes and plantaria, Cary co-operated with his brother William (c. 1759-1825), a London instrument maker who had learned his trade as an apprentice to Jesse Ramsden. In other projects, however, the two brothers maintained separate businesses. From 1792, the globe firm was located at 181 The Strand.
In about 1820, John moved to 86 St James’s Street, leaving the old place in The Strand to his two sons, George (c. 1788-1859) and John Cary, Jr. (1791-1852) who, by that time, had become involved in the globe making business. After the death of John Jr. in 1852, the firm was managed by Henry Gould. The firm name “William Cary” was maintained until 1890.
Cole, Benjamin (1695-1766) London
Between 1733 and 1739, Benjamin Cole opened a small business in collaboration with Thomas Wright, he took over in 1746. Cole continued the production of planetariums similar to those of Wright. In 1751, he worked together with his son Benjamin (1725-1813); the company was now called Cole & Son. In a 1768 catalog, Benjamin jr. offered planetariums, armillary spheres, and 17-inch globes. Cole jr. maintained the business until 1781; his successor was John Troughton (c 1739-1807).
Collins, Henry George (worked 1847-1858)
Globe manufacturer; published a couple of 30-cm terrestrial and lunar globes titled “The College Globe.”Columbus 1909 – current Berlin & Stuttgart
Columbus 1909 – current Berlin & Stuttgart
Paul Oestergaard started producing globes in 1909 with the thought in mind: “A Columbus Globe for every home.”
His attention to detail, forward thinking in design and variety of models helped Oestergaard become one of the top globe makers of his time. He quickly started producing globes in 24 languages. In 1942, the company suffered a tremendous loss of people, production buildings and offices due to bombings (during WW2). The family struggled, but diligently continued producing globes by working out of their homes. Post WW2, the second generation Paul Oestergaard Jr. attempted to locate all former employees to rebuild the Columbus Verlag. However, due to the Russian blockade of Berlin in 1948, most of the facilities were re-located into a politically more stable area in the south of Germany, Stuttgart.
This is reflected in the cartouche of the globes as it identifies the location of manufacture. If the cartouche mentions Stuttgart, it is a post-WW2 Globe. Today, the company is one of the largest globe producers in the world.
Coronelli, P. Vincenzo (1650-1718) Venice
Born in Venice as the son of a tailor; learned wood carving in Ravenna. At 15, he joined the Conventual’s Minorites Monastery and became general of the monastery. What he learned during that period made him one of the most influential cosmographers of his time. In 1684 he founded the first scientific organization dedicate to terrestrial and celestial globes and called “Accademia Cosmografica degli Argonauti”. Members were predominantly aristocrats or of the high clergy. He also published a large number of books related to the subject, among them the “Atlante Veneto,” consisting of ten volumes. Towards the end of his life, he began publishing a universal lexicon. Coronelli was especially famous for his terrestrial and lunar globes. Unfortunately, the convent suffered financial difficulties from Coronelli’s globe manufacture and was forced to terminate the production of globes after Coronelli died. Consequently, Venice lost its significance as the center of Geography and Astronomy.
Cox, James (worked 1811-1857) London
One of the many traders who bought Lane’s 6.9 cm-globes with blank vignettes and resold them as “Cox London 1812.” In the 1830s, 3- and 5-inch globes signed as “Cox Terrestrial Globe 2nd Edition 1836 and Celestial Globe by J.S. Cox” appeared on the market, but they were most likely not identical with Lane’s globe, which was first published in 1790.
George F. Cram Company / Cram’s c 1932 – current Chicago / Indianapolis
What was to become the George F. Cram Company was founded in 1867 by Rufus Blanchard and George Franklin Cram (uncle and nephew) in Evanston, Illinois. The firm was known as Blanchard and Cram and was engaged in producing atlases and maps. By 1869 the business had become George F. Cram, with Cram taking full control and moved to Chicago that same year. The great Chicago fire destroyed the business, which was reestablished under the name Cram Map Depot. In 1921 Cram sold the company to E. A. Peterson. Peterson merged the Cram Company with his National Map Company, and in 1928 it became The George F. Cram Company. The year 1928 also saw the death of founder George F. Cram at the age of 86.
The company began making globes in 1932-34, and in 1936 it relocated to Indianapolis. In 1966 Loren B. Douthit, an employee since 1937, became President of the company until his retirement in 1978. William and John Douthit, Loren’s sons, assumed management of the company the same year. When Loren B. Douthit died in 1996, William L. Douthit was named Chairman of the Board.
Herff Jones, which owns the Nystrom line of globes, purchased CRAM in 2005. Douthit family members are still involved in creating globes at the Herff Jones facility in Indianapolis.
To differ itself from the other great Chicago Globe makers in the early 2oth century and to be competitive, Cram became very creative early on. The company experimented with mountings and colors. As a result, the company produced some of the most unique globes.
Cruchley, George Fredrick (worked 1823-1876) London
Published maps and manufactured globes.
Debes, Ernst (1840-1923) Leipzig
See Wagner & Debes.
Cartographer and co-owner of Wagner & Debes.
Delagrave, Charles (*1842) Paris
Publisher (Institute Geographique de Paris, 15, rue Soufflot). His published terrestrial globes include globes drawn by Charles Perigot, professor of geography at Lycee St.Louis, as well as L. Bonnefont, professor at Lycee Fontanes in Paris.
Delamarche , Charles François (1740-1817) & Son Felix (1817-47) Paris
Founded by Charles François Delamarche who entered the globe industry as successor to the Robert de Vaugondy family of map and globe makers to King Louis XVI. Delamarche obtained the shops of many of his local competitors, which enabled him to produce globe models in many different sizes. He also republished many Robert de Vaugondy maps and globes. Charles worked with Charles Dien, a cartographer. In 1817 Felix Delamarche, son of Charles, took over the business which stayed in the family until 1847, when taken over by Grosselin.
Delitsch, Otto (1821-1882) Leipzig
School teacher, 1865 Ph.D, from 1867 docent, and from 1875 extraordinary professor of geography at the University of Leipzig. Around 1860, Delitsch began designing map segments for Felkl terrestrial globes with two to three levels of elevation. Delitsch’s globes continued to be manufactured with his name listed on the cartouche long after his death.
Denoyer-Geppert 1916 – 1980’s Chicago
Founded in Chicago by L. Philip Denoyer and Otto E. Geppert, both former employees of the US branch of W. & A.K. Johnston of Scotland & Nystrom (supplied many Chicago globe makers with printed gores). In its early years, the firm promoted itself as a manufacture and supplier of “visual demonstration equipment for geography, history and the biological sciences,” including globes and maps. Denoyer-Geppert sold imported British globes under its own name, and also developed its own line of American manufactured globes, including the “Cartocraft” globe with simplified map gores. In 1969, the company introduced its Lunar Globe in conjunction with NASA in recognition of the Apollo 10 Journey to the moon. The crew of the Apollo 10 presented the first Lunar Globe based on the pictures provided by Apollo 10 to President Nixon at a White House Event (see picture in the Gallery).
The firm continued to produce globes until the early 1980s. Rand McNally purchased the remains of Denoyer-Geppert, terminated the globe manufacturing branch and sold the chart and scientific model part in 1985. Today the remains of the original company operate as the Denoyer-Geppert Science Co., manufacturing and selling “Human anatomy teaching models.”
Dien, Charles (1809-1870) Hungary
Son of Charles Dien, sr. Astronomic and cosmographer who after 1840 collaborated with Nagy Karoly, published Hungarian lunar globes; called himself Dien Karoly. Contributed a lunar globe to the first pair of Hungarian globes.
Dien, Charles, sr. Paris
Engraver; Felix Delamarche’s co-worker/assistant around 1819
Also see Delamarche
Falk-Fabian, Théodore (1845-after 1914) Brussels
Born in Posen in former Prussia (today Poland). Around 1875 co-founded with Henry Merzbach (1837-after 1892) the publishing company Merzbach & Falk (“Maison Merzbach & Falk, éditeur”) in Brussels. After Merzbach left the company, Falk founded the National Institute of Geography in Brussels in 1882.
Also see National Institute of Geography
Felkl, Jan (1817-1887), J.Felkl & Sohn (1875- 1950) Prague Rostock Vienna
In 1855 Felkl offered an illustrated prospectus for globes in six various sizes. Within the next 20 years, Felkl rose to be the largest globe manufacturer within the Austro-Hungarian market, producing terrestrial and celestial globes in 17 languages, as well as lunar globes, planetaria and telluria.
Felkl’s early globes were produced by engraving and hand coloring the gores. Increase in production was made possible with the development of lithography as of 1873. Felkl founded a “geographic lithographic institute” in Prague to produce globe gores and maps. Best known author of the German Felkl globes was the Leipzig cartographer Otto Delitsch, who developed the idea of brown color tone graduation of height of mountain ranges.
In 1870, Felkl moved his factory from Prague to Roztok and took his youngest son Christoph Zikmund as partner in his firm, renamed Felkl & Son. They employed up to 40 people and opened branches in Prague and Vienna. After the death of Jan Felkl in 1887, the firm was continued by the Felkl family until 1950.
Felt, David (worked during 1st half of 19th Century) Boston
Publisher of Gardner’s Globes (1825-1829). See Gardner.
Forest, J. 19th& 20th century Paris
J. Forest made a variety of globes, largely for school use, but also for home use. Their vast variety included odd novelty globes, such as terrestrial globes on geared turntable stands and cigarette lighters incorporating globes. In the 20th century Forest produced light up globes with interesting machine age aluminum bases. Forest globes were mostly in French, with some for export in English or Spanish.
The geographical publishing firm Girard & Barrère obtained the Globe manufacture some time in the early 20th Century, but continued to offer the models as “Globes Forest” at the same Rue de Buci address in Paris that Forest used. During the early and mid 20th century the firm also produced globes and geographical publications as Girard, Barrère et Thomas. This may have been a merger or partnership with the 19th century Paris globe maker G. Thomas.
Franklin Globes / Merriam & Moore, Merriam Moore & Co., Moore & Nims, H.B. Nims & Co., Nims & Knight, 1850’s-1890’s Troy (New York)
Freytag & Berndt 1907- 1941 Vienna
The company originated in 1879, became a school supply manufacture in 1894 and did not produce their first globe until 1907. Though from then on Freytag & Berndt produced a vast variety of terrestrial and celestial globes, telluria and more.
Gardner, [James W.?] 1825-1829 New York and Boston
Author of 10- and 30 cm globes, dated 1823, 1825, and 1829, published at Cummings & Hilard, Boston, and by David Felt, New York and Boston.
Also see Felt
Garthe, Dr. C 1820’s-? Stuttgart Tuebingen
Inventor of a cosmic globe: a lunar globe divided at the equator and made of glass. The inside contained a “Terrestrial Globe of 4 Parisian Inches at Schropp et Comp. 1827.” Includes Garthe’s “Description of the Cosmic Globe,” Stuttgart and Tuebingen, Cotta 1833.
Geographia, Ltd. c 1910 – 1987 London
Founded by Alexander Gross (1879-1958). Publisher of globes, maps and atlases, eventually absorbed into Collins Bartholomew, the cartographic division of Harper Collins. The firm produced street maps and atlases of all the major cities in the United Kingdom, the most popular of which was the Greater London Street Atlas and its New York office produced street guides for American cities in the mid 20th century.
Geographic Educator New York
Manufactured a puzzle globe, consisting of a metal globe with adhesive segments that show Lindbergh’s route across the Atlantic Ocean in 1927. The globe can be disassembled in its parallels of latitude into five plates and two pole caps. The various countries of the different continents, made from bakelite, colored materials can be fit into the plates in a puzzle-like form. The company manufactured several editions of this type of globe.
Girard & Barrère and Girard, Barrère & Thomas (early to mid 20th Century) Paris
Publishing company. Purchased J.Forest around WW2 and continued to publish using that name in addition to its own on the cartouche.
Goldthwaite, William M. Chicago
Globe manufacturer c1888. Ten years later he received a patent for silk folding globes that could be opened up like a double umbrella. These globes were manufactured by Gol[?]meian Globe Co. Chicago.
Haack, Hermann (1872-1966), and the Geograph.-Cartograph. Institute VEB Hermann Haack Gotha
Geographer, cartographer and author of numerous geographical writings and globes. Co-worker in Justus Perthes’ Geographical Institute in Gotha since 1897; under his leadership and following his cartographical and technical instructions (drawn by Otto Koffmahn; 1851-1916), a series of globes, both physical and political and of various sizes were published up to 1914. In 1954, the Geographical Institute in Gotha (successor to publishing firm Justus Perthes) became the Geograph.-Cartograph. Institute VEB Hermann Haack, Gotha. In 1972, the company published Kurt Ziesing’s tectonic globe.
Haardt, Robert (1884-1962) Vienna
Inventor of the roll globe in 1935; Haardt’s world measurer was published in various sizes to be used in schools by Freytag & Berndt, Columbus, Girard-Barrère and other companies. In 1952, Haardt founded the Vienna-based “World Union of Globe Friends,” today the “International Coronelli-Society for Globe- and Instrument Science.”
C.S. Hammond & Co. 1900 – current New York, Brooklyn & Boston
Founded by Caleb Stillson Hammond in 1900, and formally incorporated in 1901, the company has been known over much of its history as C.S. Hammond & Co. Unlike most globe manufacturing in the United States, which was centered in Chicago at the beginning of the 20th century, C.S. Hammond began work in New York City.
Hammond is well-known for its extensive line of world, historical, school and thematic atlases and globes, but the company has issued a wide variety of other cartographic items, including maps and transparencies during the last 100 years. It has also printed numerous other works, primarily for the educational market. In addition to its own imprints, Hammond’s cartographic output has been included in the encyclopedias, almanacs, dictionaries, Bibles and textbooks of many other publishers.
However, in addition to manufacturing their own globes, they used both W.& A.K. Johnston and Chicago gores with a Hammond label over the original cartouche.
In its heyday in the early 1960s, Hammond employed 120 draftsmen, artists and researchers at its comfortable, paneled offices an easy walk from the quaint Maplewood village center.
Now the maps are reproduced by a half-dozen computer technicians at a generic office complex in Springfield (and reviewers say the quality of the maps remains high). The only person left who remembers Hammond of the old days is an elderly secretary. There is still a Hammond World Atlas Corp., but the company is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Langenscheidt Publishing Group, a German publishing behemoth whose other acquisitions include Hagstrom Maps, American Map Corp., Berlitz and the World Almanac.
Herkt, Otto (1885-after 1924) Leipzig?
The terrestrial globe in the Schmidt-collection shows similarities with globes published by the company Gracklauer in Leipzig. Otherwise not much is known about this manufacture.
Hesse & Becker Verlag Leipzig
German publishing company from between the two world wars. The so-called ADLER Globus (“Eagle-Globe”) was worked on by Prof. Dr. Zepp of Bonn.
Heymann, Ludwig Julius (c 1860-1903) Berlin & Leipzig
Ludwig Julius Heymann was an active Berlin Globe maker from c 1860 to 1903. During this time his model offerings diversified from simple wood mounts to ornate figurine and clock bases.
Due to the growth of his company he expanded into Leipzig and began to offer models in many different languages. Eventually Heymann employed Henry Lange, who was known for his detailed mapping and who had been a student of Brockhaus (of Leipzig). The Heymann globes are superb and highly appreciated as they displayed early on significant details such as the Great Wall of China and the up keep of explorations to the North and South Pole.
Holbrook c1826-1852 / Holbrook School Apparatus Co1855-early 1900s ? Massachusetts Connecticut Boston Chicago
Josiah Holbrook believed a globe was more effective if every student was able to hold one in is hand and therefore focused on manufacturing inexpensive models. The business struggled. In 1854 his son Dwight Holbrook contracted the globe manufacturing out to a Connecticut State Prison, where inmates produced Globes. In 1855 Dwight founded the Holbrook School Apparatus Co, with the focus remaining on inexpensive models. Success was achieved as the Ohio School system purchased over 11000 Globes the first year. Within 2 years the Holbrook Family opened a retail store in Chicago, offering school supply but only until sometime in the 1860s, when Charles W. Holbrook (son of Dwight) changed the direction to focus on Globe manufacture only.
Institute National de Géographie (1882-c1900) Brussels
Founded in 1882 by Theodore Falk-Fabian after his partner Henry Merzbach, with whom he had collaborated since 1875, had retired from the publishing business. The institute quickly achieved a good reputation and published, among other products, globes in various sizes and languages. In 1898, Falk gave the business to his son Henri, who closed it down in 1899 or 1900, presumably shortly after his father’s death.
Johnston, W. & A.K. (19th Century) Edinburgh, London
The brothers Johnston learned the trade of engraving from James Kirkwood. After Kirkwood’s factory burned down in 1824, William (1802-1888) became self-employed in 1825 and founded a cartographical institute; one year later, his brother Alexander Keith (1804-1871) followed. The company produced mainly maps and atlases for schools, but began manufacturing globes around the mid-19th Century. The brothers also produced globe gores for many American globe manufacturers, e.g. Rand Mc Nally, Nystrom, and others. Globes of different sizes were produced until sometime in the 20th Century.
Joslin, Gilman (1804-c1886) Boston
Joslin started his career as a globe maker in 1837 working for Josiah Loring, whose business he took over in 1839. That same year, he manufactured his first 15cm pair of globes (engraved by William B. Annin), soon followed by Joslin’s 25cm globes. Joslin continued to produce globes for other globe makers as well, such as Loring, Sylvester Bliss, and possibly H.B. Nims & Co.
JRO-Verlag 1953 to current Munich
Began in 1953 to manufacture globes. Globes of a diversity of size and mountings are part of the production, including many mid century modern designs. A 128cm diameter globe was powered by an engine.
Juvet, Louis Paul (1838-1930) Canajoharie, New York and Glen Falls
Swiss jeweler; moved to the U.S. in 1864 and produced clockwork globes of different sizes. The map on his globes is said to have been made by W & A.K. Johnston of Edinburgh, but the globes show only Juvet’s signature.
Kiepert, Heinrich ( for Reimers) 1818-1899 Berlin
As a scholar and later replacement of Carl Ritter as the teaching professor in Cartography and Geography at the University of Berlin, Kiepert was recognized early on for his exceptional mapping skills. In 1845 he became the director of the Weimar Geographic Institute and began freelancing for Reimers in 1852. Not until 1855 did Heinrich Kiepert leave the Institute to focus full-time on creating maps and working on the Carl Adami Globes for Reimers, a Berlin Globe manufacture. It was 1865 when Kiepert produced his own line of terrestrial globes for Reimers.
KLINGER, Georg Johann (1764-1806) Nuremberg
Published his first globes in 1790 with Latin lettering. Simultaneously he published globes based on revised editions of the plates of Andreae and of his own design. After his death his widow continued the business until it was taken over by Dreykorn in 1836 who continued to publish globes under the ‘imprint’ of “J.G. Klinger’s Kunsthandlung”.In 1851 the name of the firm changed into “C.Abel-Klinger Kunsthandlung” when Carl Abel joined the management of it. The firm was active well into the 20th century.
Kogutowicz, Emanuel (1851-1908) Budapest
Co-founder of the Hungarian Geographical Institute in Budapest in 1890. From 1897-c1930, the institute published maps and globes for schools. After 1930, the institute was gradually replaced by the Institute for Plastic Cartography.
Kretzschmar, Friedrich (1811-1878) Prague
Bedrich Krecmar offered maps and terrestrial globes, but also business cards, children’s games, picture books, etc. – any kind of print production for a wide range of clients, from manufactures to individual business owners. Terrestrial globes were produced in a diversity of sizes and languages: Czech, German, and “Boehmisch.”
Kuemmerly & Frey Switzerland
Swiss map maker who published physical-political globes of different sizes under their name as well as for as for other globe manufactures such as Philip & Son, Girard, and Columbus.
A.H. Lebegue & Compagnie Brussels
See Lebegue& Cie
Lebegue & Cie c1880 – 1910. Paris
Leading globe-publishers of the late 1800’s. Produced a wide range of models, and published in several languages. Their line also included astronomical curiosities, such as fancy clock globes.
Among the terrestrial globes published by them were those conceived by Dubail and by Bardot.
A branch company functioned in Brussels under the name of A.H. Lebegue & Compagnie
Loring, Josiah (1775-c1840) Boston
Began the production of globes in 1832. His biggest success was the 30cm globe, engraved by Annin & Smith in Boston and based on globes published by C. Smith & Co. in London. In 1839, Gilman Joslin took over and continued to manufacture Loring globes until the 1850s, before he improved them and published the globes with his own signature until the end of the century.
Also see Annin & Smith, Joslin
Mang, Adolf (1849-1933) Heidelberg, Stuttgart and Baden-Baden
Known to have been a schoolteacher. There is no information about his work as a globe maker, but in 1879, an American patent for a planetarium was given to Adolf Mang, living in Baden-Baden.
Merriam & Moore, Merriam Moore & Co., Moore & Nims, 1850s-1890s Troy (New York)
Merzbach & Falk (1875-1882) Brussels
Founded in 1875 by Théodore Falk-Fabian (1845-after1914) and Henry Merzbach (1837-after 1892). In 1875, Merzbach & Falk published a facsimile edition of Gerhard Mercator’s fillets for terrestrial and lunar globes. From about 1878, modern globes were published under the name of Institute “Géographique de Merzbach et Falk.” In 1882, Merzbach retired and Falk founded the “Institute National de Geographique.”
Also see Institute National de Geographique, Falk-Fabian
Neuer Allgemeiner Verlag G.m.b.H. Berlin Produced a variety of models such as a 33cm terrestrial globe at the beginning of the 20th Century.
New York School Apparatus Co. Brooklyn
Founded by Daniel Haskell, the company produced globes of different sizes.
H.B. Nims & Co., Nims & Knight, 1850’s-1890’s Troy (New York)
Novelty Globe Photo Archive
A.J. Nystrom & Co 1903-current Chicago
After having spent several years in the field of education, A.J. Nystrom founded his company in 1903 in Chicago. A partnership was formed with W. & A.K. Johnston of Scotland to print and supply the gores for the Nystrom Globes. The partnership specialized in simplified maps and nique globes such as the suspension model and the slate globe for the educational market.
Nystrom is still producing school equipment to this day as a division of Heff Jones.
Peter J. Oestergaard Early 20th Century Berlin
Not much is known about this Globe Maker other than Paul Ostergaard followed his foot-steps, however, it is not known if Paul was Peter’s Brother or son. See Columbus about Paul Oestergaard.
Raeth, Paul (1881-1929) Leipzig
Began to manufacture Globes in 1917 and quickly became one of the most recognized German Globe makers of the early 20th century. One of his largest “Relief globe” at 64 cm diameter can be found in the German Museum of Munich.
The company prospered even after Raeth’s death in 1929. Because the manufacture did not leave Leipzig after WW2, it fell to be under Russian control as the city of Leipzig became part of former East Germany. One of the most infamous models Raeth ever produced was the 1963 moon globe, based on photographs taken by the USSR satellite Lunik 3.
Rand McNally & Co. 1856 (1880 globe production) – current Chicago
William Rand opens his first print shop in 1856, hires McNally, an Irish Immigrant, in 1858. In 1868, the two establish a partnership and the name Rand McNally & Co. As a print shop they produce the newspaper for the Chicago Tribune as well as timetables, travel guides and tickets for the fast growing railroad industry.
In 1872, the company pioneered cerography, an innovative wax-engraving print technique, enabling to follow world changes in print quickly and more economically. As a result, event though not having made globes themselves until 1880, by the end of the late 1800’s Rand McNally produced globe gores not just for their own models, but for many of the other Chicago Globe makers. Rand McNally is best known for their travel maps but also still produces globes to this day, mainly for the educational market.
Reimer, Dietrich Verlag 1845 – 1960’s Berlin
Dietrich Reimer started his company in 1845 and began to produce globes in 1852 by taking over the globe manufacture Adami in 1852. Adami (1802-1874) continued to work for Reimer as a mapmaker. Kiepert took over his position and continued improving and producing Adami models. H.A. Hoefer became co owner of the company for a brief period (1868-95) and after Reimers left due to age, E. Vohesen ( 1853-1919) oversaw production. After his death the company became a public traded corporation. In addition to their own Globes, the Dietrich Reimers Verlag also produced models for Andrews and Steiner between WW1 and WW2 (1919-35). During WW2 the manufacturing facilities were completely destroyed (1945). The company was re-built in 1951 but never quite made it back to its supreme position in the globe market. After having created a vast variety of globes, from the early relief models, Induction, terrestrial and celestial globes, the Dietrich Reimer Verlag closed its doors for good sometime in the early 1960’s.
Replogle 1930 – current Chicago
Luther Replogle, a former sales rep for Weber Costello, began making globes in his basement with imported British map gores. The breakthrough for his company occurred in 1932, when he obtained the contract to produce commutative globes for the worlds fair in Chicago in 1933, distributed by Marshall Fields & Co. During WW2 Replogle did not keep up with the constant change of political borders and continued printing the maps of 1939 through the early 1940’s . However, to encourage customers to continue purchasing his globes, he offered coupons for globes to be updated for a minimal fee once WW2 has ended and political borders have been established.
In the 1950’s Reploge ventured out into producing a few very unique globes, such as the Surprise Globe, the Wonder World as well as a Magnetic Air Race Globe Game and the Quiz Globe. It was an attempt to expand sales into the toy market while competing with well known Children’s Tin Globe makers such as J.Chein and Ohio Art. Today Replogle is one of the worlds largest Globe manufacture.
Robert de Vaugondy, Didier (1723-1786) Paris
Gilles Robert Vaugondy (1686-1763), royal geographer and professor of mathematics, continued map-making in the family of Nicolas Sansons and his son, from whom he inherited business and equipment. Globes were not part of the production until his son Didier began manufacturing them. After dedicating a 22cm terrestrial globe to King Louis XV, he, in 1751, published an 18 inch pair of globes that was long considered one of the best in France. The globe bases were made of fine wood and decorated with gold, therefore quite expensive. Inexpensive globes, made of papier-mâché for school use were also made, but this market was highly competitive. In 1778, Vaugondy was forced to leave part of his business to Jean Fortin, and shortly before Vaugondy’s death, Charles-François Delamarche took over Fortin’s business, as well as what was left to Vaugondy. Delamarche continued the manufacture of globes using Vaugondy’s famous name for years, while calling himself successor of the Sansons, of Robert de Vaugondy, and of Fortin. Even his son Felix considered himself the “successeur de Vaugondy” until the 1830s. Vaugondy died in poverty, leaving his three daughters to beg for governmental assistance.
Schedler, Joseph c 1850 -1880’s ? Schedler & Liebler New York New Jersey
German Immigrant to the USA, worked in partnership with Liebler in New York. Left for New Jersey and manufactured his own prize medal winning globes.. His models won in 1867 in Paris, at the American Institute Fair in 1869 and at the Vienna International Exhibition in 1873. Schedler was one of the first globe makers to include shipping and telegraph lines, ocean currents and depth figures on his terrestrial globe legends.
Schotte, Ernst 1860s -1920s?
The firm of Ernst Schotte was of great importance in the production of globes in Berlin in the second half of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth. At the end of the 1870s, this firm made terrestrial globes in nine different sizes, from a ’dolls globe’ 1in (2, 5 cm) in diameter to a school globe 19in (48 cm) in diameter, along with four sizes of celestial globes
Schwitzky & Strunz (c1810) Berlin
Publisher of feel-and-learn terrestrial globes for the blind by August Zeuner.
Shepherd, Forrest (1800-1888) New York
In 1857 and 1858, Shepherd obtained patents for inductive globes (monochromatic globes covered in a material one could draw on). They were manufactured in various sizes by C.T. Candee. In 1858, Shepherd’s business was given to Dean & Munger. In 1875, Charles Munger became partner of J. W. Schermerhorn & Co. in New York, who in 1876 was able to offer inductive globes of various sizes.
Smith & son (1799-1888) England Founded by Charles Smith, who originally offered maps and earned the reputation to be the engraver to the Prince of Wales. Eventually Charles and son produced Globes. The re-location of the business to Charing Cross in 1870 demonstrated brisk growth. In 1888 Phillips and son purchased the company.
Waldseemueller (Waltzenmueller, also Hylacomylus), Martin (1470-c1518/21)
Taught at the secondary school in St.Dié. In 1507, he published the “Universalis Cosmographi,” a world map, which, for the first time ever, mentions the name “America.” Only one of the reportedly one thousand copies has been preserved and obtained by the Library of Congress in 2007 and is considered the “Birth certificate of America”.
C.F. Weber & Co 1900-1907 /1907-c 1960 Weber Costello Co./ A.H. Andrews & Co 1865 Chicago
A.H. Andrews & Co sold the Globe manufacturing branch to C.F. Weber & Co. at the turn of the century, who marketed the globes as “C.F. Weber & Co, successor to A.H. Andrews and Co, Chicago”. Around 1907 it became the Weber Costello Company. Weber Costello continued production of globes until c 1960’s.
Weber Costello Co 1907- c 1960/ C.F. Weber & Co c 1900-1907/ A.H. Andrews & Co 1865-c1900 Chicago
A.H. Andrews & Co sold the Globe manufacturing branch to C.F. Weber & Co. at the turn of the century, who marketed the globes as “C.F. Weber & Co, successor to A.H. Andrews and Co, Chicago”. Around 1907 the name changed to the Weber Costello Company. Weber ostello continued production of globes until the early 1960’s. In addition to its own models, the company also produced models for some of the other Chicago Globe makers such as Rand McNally, Nystrom, Denoyer-Geppert and Cram’s.
In 1942 the United States Office of Strategic Services (OSS) Map Division compiled the map for a 50-inch globe that was to be given to President Roosevelt by Colonel William J. Donovan, the OSS Director. Instead, acting on a suggestion by General Dwight D. Eisenhower, General George C. Marshall arranged to have one of the large globes presented to Prime Minister Winston Churchill and another to President Roosevelt as 1942 Christmas gifts from the Army. Ultimately, the Weber Costello Company of Chicago Heights, Illinois, produced some twelve or fifteen copies of the President’s Globe between 1942 and 1955 when the company ceased operation. Churchill’s globe is now at Chartwell and Roosevelt’s is at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library. The story of these globes is based on the recollection of an individual who was involved in the map making.
Wilson, James (manuf. 1810-1850) Albany (NY)
The first globe-maker in the US. He was an apprentice of Amos Doolittle, and in 1810 had been producing his own globes. Wilson changed the business name from Wilson & Co. to Wilson & Sons in 1822. Cyrus Lancaster, was an employee of Wilson’s, and later took over Wilson’s firm.
From Library of Congress:
James Wilson, America’s first commercial globe maker. Born in New Hampshire in 1763, he spent much of his adult life as a farmer and blacksmith in nearby Vermont. After seeing a pair of terrestrial and celestial globes at Dartmouth College, he decided to make his own. He set about learning geography from an encyclopedia he purchased for the purpose and learned engraving from an experienced engraver of maps. Around 1810 he had produced his first globe, and by 1818 he and his sons had established an “artificial globe manufactory” in Albany, New York, where they produced globes of three-inch, nine-inch, and thirteen-inch diameters.
In 1827 he brought his globes down to Washington, D.C., to display to Congress. On his business card he wrote that he was “now exhibiting for public inspection at the United States Library” a pair of thirteen-inch globes, and claimed he was “the original manufacturer of Globes in this country, and has brought the art to such a degree of perfection, as to supersede altogether the necessity of importation of that article from abroad.”
Wilson & Son (1822-1850) Albany
See James Wilson
Zentrales Wissenschaftliches Forschungsinstitut fuer Geographie, Aerophotographie und Kartographie und P.K. Sternberg Institut Moskow
Created a lunar globe from photos of the automatic Cosmic Station Lunik 3 on July 10, 1959, and from map material of the visible side of the moon. The backside of the moon is not completely captured yet.
We would like to thank the following individuals for graciously sharing their information and knowledge on globe makers:
Carolyn Burrell, Jan Mokre, the International Coronelli Society for the Study of Globes, George Glazer (website), K. Olson and Joe Snuggs.